You have two options. You can call a locksmith and pay them to cut you a new key or contact our office during regular office hours to request another key. You will be responsible for a replacement fee if you lose any keys or fobs. Those costs vary depending on the key and the fob however you can expect a minimum of a 25 dollar charge.

You can pay by logging into your tenant portal and inputting your banking information. From there you can set up automated payments or just a one-time charge. Due to COVID- 19 the office is closed to the public so our alternative methods of payment have changed. You can also mail in or drop off a cheque in our secure dropbox. Bank drafts will also be accepted this way. We do not accept cash and debit payments have been postponed for the duration of the COVID-19 Pandemic.

To protect yourself from any liability relating to fire or other damage, it is recommended to have appropriate insurance. It is also recommended that you get content insurance to cover your belongings in case of an emergency, such as a fire or flood.

First look at your Tenancy Agreement. What does it say? If it says other tenants can move in and whether it will cost more money, follow those terms. If it doesn’t say anything, talk to your property manager. The office will require an application and the application must be accepted prior to the new tenant moving in. You want to get your property manager’s permission in writing and have the new tenant sign the lease and move-in report. We don’t unreasonably restrict new tenants. So if you live in a one-bedroom apartment and your boyfriend has references, he should be able to move in.

14 days. Only those persons listed in clauses 1 or 2 above may occupy the rental unit or residential property. A person not listed in 1 or 2 above who, without the landlord’s prior written consent, resides in the rental unit or on the residential property in excess of fourteen cumulative days in a calendar year will be considered to be occupying the rental unit or residential property contrary to your Tenancy Agreement. If the tenant anticipates an additional occupant, the tenant must apply in writing for approval from the property manager for such a person to become an authorized occupant. Failure to obtain the property manager’s written approval is a breach of a material term of your Agreement, giving your property manager the right to end the tenancy on proper notice.

No and no; without your landlord’s express written permission. Smoke causes damage and health concerns so the landlord is allowed to prevent this, even if you have a prescription. Growing can cause; mould, damp, smell, fire risk and increased utility bills.

Have a look at your tenancy. Section 43 describes the smoking agreement. Our general policy for no smoking buildings will say, “no smoking of any combustible material is permitted on the residential property, including within the residential unit.” The deck would be considered to be on the residential property and is therefore not allowed.

Have a look at your tenancy. Section 43 describes the smoking agreement. Our general policy for no smoking buildings will say, “no smoking of any combustible material is permitted on the residential property, including within the residential unit.” The deck would be considered to be on the residential property and is therefore not allowed.

You can paint if you ask your property manager’s permission, they agree and you get their permission in writing. HOWEVER: it is expected that you will return the walls to their original colour prior to moving out or pay for a professional to do it. If you do not then it will be deducted from your security deposit.

If you paint anyway you need to either pay to have the place returned to its pre-painting state or return it to that state yourself. Since the landlord may have a particular colour that they use, it’s very difficult to do this yourself, especially if you use a dark colour or one with a lot of red or yellow in it. It’s normally better to keep the walls how they are and use cushions, fabrics, plants and art to customize your place.

Talk to the neighbour and see if there are reasonable accommodations you can both make. Is your living room above their bedroom and your sleep patterns are conflicting? Try to work something out if possible. Do you have rugs to put down? Do they? If that is not possible, talk to the landlord about soundproofing. If it is an older building with less good soundproofing, more noise is expected.

At the end of the day, quiet enjoyment is important but they don’t have to tiptoe around in slippers, so often working together and compromising is important.

If you are struggling to make a compromise with your neighbour or you would like to make a noise complaint due to an event such as a party, please contact your property manager.

Pay the rent on time every time. If not paid on the first, you will be provided with a Notice To End Tenancy which gives you 5 days to pay or 10 days to move as well as a $25 dollar late fee. If you pay rent late more than once, you risk eviction for frequent late payment of rent.

Please contact your property manager as soon as possible. Your property manager is under no obligation to grant an extension of time. If they do agree to a payment plan then it needs to be in writing and perfectly adhered to or a Notice to End Tenancy will be given.

Do you have an active fixed-term tenancy agreement which has not expired? If so, you must take full responsibility for breaking your tenancy agreement which may not just be limited to costs. There is often a liquidated damages cost when breaking your lease. The amounts vary, so checking your tenancy agreement is important. Our office does its best to help tenants find new renters when tenants need to break their lease. This includes advertising and showing the unit to potential new tenants. It is often recommended that tenants put up their own ads and do their own showings as well, in order to maximize visibility. We are happy to provide tenancy applications if you have found a potential new tenant. If we are not able to find an acceptable tenant prior to your move out then you are still responsible for the rent until the end of your fixed term lease, regardless if you live there.

If you are on a month-to-month tenancy, you are required to give 30 days’ notice on or before the last day of the rental period to move out at the end of the next. For example, if you wish to move out at the end of July, you will have to provide written notice before the end of June.

Yes, Landlords can increase rent only once in a 12-month period and only by the amount the Act allows. The amount is listed on the Branch website. Before increasing rent, landlords must give tenants 3 full months notice using the form called “Notice of Rent Increase—Residential Rental Units,” on the Branch website. The landlord must also serve the notice on the tenant in the way the Act requires. The Act allows a landlord to mail the notice and, in that case, the notice is treated as received by the tenant on the 5th day after it is mailed. At Century 21 we generally serve our rental increases via registered mail. Therefore if you receive a message from your local post office it is important that you pick it up.

All vehicles must meet certain conditions, including being licensed, insured and in running order.

If you live in an apartment building it may also be necessary to register your vehicle to obtain a parking space. It is important to check with your building manager/site representative for your development’s tenant and visitor parking provisions.

We send out all security deposits in the mail on the 15th to the address provided on the move-out report. If you would prefer to come and pick up your cheque on the 15th please advise your property manager.

The Tenancy Act states that the landlord agrees to repay the security deposit and pet damage deposit and interest to the tenant within 15 days of the end of the tenancy agreement unless the tenant agrees in writing to allow the landlord to keep an amount as payment for unpaid rent or damage, or the landlord makes an application for dispute resolution under the Residential Tenancy Act within 15 days of the end of the tenancy agreement to claim some or all of the security deposit or pet damage deposit.

The 15 day period starts on the later of the date the tenancy ends, or the date the landlord receives the tenant’s forwarding address in writing.

Locked Out or lost your keys?
How to give proper vacating notice?
Liquidated Damages, What does that mean?
What to do when you know you will be late with rent?
How to have the highest likelihood of renting the unit you want.